When it comes to maintaining the maintenance of a home, owners will often test the performance of many items to ensure that they are working properly. While this usually is the case for things inside the home, many forget to regularly check and test the functionality of their garage door.
The Denver garage door experts at Colorado Overhead Door Company have decided to run down a few of the hazards and threats that can be associated with faulty garage doors and how you might identify them before they become safety concerns.
Garage Door Safety: Colorado Overhead Door Co.
- Garage door owners who have children should teach them that the garage door opener is not a toy. The opener itself should be kept out of their reach, and should your children be at the age where they are required to use the opener, make sure they know how to use it properly.
- Children should not be allowed to run or play around a garage door when it is functioning. Whenever you plan to open or close the garage, be sure that they are in safe locations far away from the door itself.
- Push buttons used to open the garage door should be located out of the reach of children. Many garage installation technicians recommend that the opener be located 5 ft. off of the ground to prevent children from activating it.
- Never try to enter a garage while the door is closing! Many people will try to race under the door as it is moving, but they should wait for the door to be fully opened and stopped before trying to pass underneath.
- When closing, always make sure to watch the garage door as it reaches the ground. Pay extra attention if you have children or pets in the area. Garage doors are equipped with sensors that detect anything that might be located in the path of the door. Read our blog post on how to test your garage door sensors for more information on these safety features.
- Garage doors use electricity to function, so be sure that all wires are properly coated, covered and sealed. Exposed wires can cause the opener to function incorrectly, and it also adds to the risk of electric shock.
- Using the garage maintenance tips that we outlined in an earlier post, you can test and check that your springs and tracks are working as desired.
Denver Garage Repairs & Maintenance
Should you believe that your garage is suffering from any of the issues mentioned above, give the team at Colorado Overhead Door Company a call today. They can help you identify and fix the problem before it becomes a larger issue.