The importance of a garage in a home goes beyond just being a room for your car!
From the large detached sheds that housed all of the field work tools and supplies, to the overhead door attached garage designed and built as an integral and multi-functional part of most modern homes; the American Garage has been evolving ever since the invention of the internal combustion motor cars.
So today we want to share some fun and interesting garage facts, to highlight the importance of this area of our homes which we might take for granted, but that plays an important role beyond just being a vehicle shelter:
- There are more than 82 million American homes with a garage. That’s enough garages to provide shelter for every single car made worldwide in 2013!
- The word “garage” comes from the French word “garer,” which means “to shelter.”
- Garages are getting bigger. Nearly 20% of all garages built are large enough to cover at least3 cars.
- They are the largest front door ever! 71% of families nowadays use the garage as the primary entrance to their house.
- The first overhead garage door was invented by G. Johnson in 1921. He also invented the first automatic door opener in 1926, but it wasn’t until 40 years later that it became a common thing.
- In 1915, the average garage comprised only about 8% of the square footage of a house. After 1960, garages have an average 45% of the square footage of the average house.
- Garages seem to be the birthplace of famous music bands and multimillion dollar companies! Some music bands that got their start in a garage include the Beatles, Nirvana and Metallica; and some blue-chip companies that also started out of a garage are Apple, Amazon, Hewlett-Packard, Walt Disney, Mattel, and Google.
- A well-built garage with a quality garage door helps to increase the reselling value of your home and adds to its curb appeal!
Colorado Overhead Doors offers you premium garage door repair services in the Denver area. All of our work is performed by professionally trained experts, who are ready to evaluate your current garage door situation and help you fix your overhead garage door, even on emergency requests!